View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
ConnClark
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
What they did was throw crap against a wall and saw what stuck. It is cheap and ineffective and if you saw some of the road test photos, held on with ratchet straps. Please, whether or it was intentional those comment you made are an insult to the intelligence of anyone trying to make a small bit of difference in this world. What you think you know about what I want to build is what I am leading on, I know what logistical problems lie ahead of me because I have several years or experience working in the industry of tractor trailers.
ummmmm..... Use of computational fluid dynamics and wind tunnel testing isn't just throwing crap against the wall. Proof of concept prototypes rarely look professional or beautiful they are just built to demonstrate or test a concept. This prototype did so beautifully. I have worked in R&D for over ten years. An Optimal solution to one problem is rarely a practical one when other problems are taken into consideration.

Quote:
I however am not dumb enough to lay out a step by step description of what is a viable solution to these rolling bricks so any lurker can have at it to an idea or ideas collaborated by more intelligent individuals. So while I apreciate the devils advocate prospective, you may actually be reading a post from the devil himself who holds his own ideas to a much more stringent standard.
Peer review in early stages is an easy way to get ahead. It is a shame you reject it.
Quote:
But to answer you directly, Boat tails for tractors or trailers can be designed so they do not become a hazard to a docking facility. The trick is this products cannot be made as a generalized solution, rather catered to the needs of the truck and / or facility. Once you take the time to analyze the use of the rig and where it docks/parks variation to a basic design will conform to the enviroment. Weight is always an issue with trucks, however no one have ever addressed weight reduction to compensate for aerodynamic advancements. Who knows in my idealistic view of world we may be able to get ammendments passed to weght restrictions so long as they are documented aerodynamic improvements to help the overall efficiency of the machine.

This area is in such an infant stage I am gitty at the thought of tackling the problem, not of future design, but of retrofit because of its impact on the industry.
you may be a little late

http://www.marama.org/diesel/frieght...DCAeroOvw2.pdf