View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Or, you know, you could drive straight West until you hit Hwy 101 and take four days.

If you choose to go through Reno, I suggest I-80 to the Donner Pass. Last time I passed through there I diverted onto Hwy 20 and came onto I-5 at Williams. The reason for going that way would be to see the restroom at the summit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=donner+pass+restroom

The lobby is as big as a house, and the Men's and Women's wings have floor to ceiling glass block windows flooding them with light. It was amazing, excepting the paper towels littering the floor.
________

Where in Tillamook? One of my favorite places on the Coast is Garibaldi, at the North end of Tillamook Bay.

When I was in college in summer I delivered dairy feed to the Lincoln City-Tillamook area. I always had to turn south 2 miles from Garibaldi. I always wanted to see it. Forty years later I read that they have two dive bars on Fark.com and road-tripped to have a look.

Some locals from Rockaway Beach told me that Garibaldi has a microclimate that is clear when everything else is fogged in. It's at the base of a massive bluff overlooking the Bay.

Also, for used building materials, there is a Habitat for Humanity store in White City.