View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
TexasElectric
EcoModding Lurker

samwichse
Yes, I will be doing 16s,5p for a total of 27.5 amp hours.

I bought the cells on eBay (brand new):
NEW Box of 80 Tenergy LiFePO4 32650 3.2V 5500mAh Rechargeable Batteries 5.5Ah | eBay

Picture of the bike:

Picture of the wooden frame for holding (most, but not all of the cells). The remaining cells will be stored in the rear mounted bike rack.

I also decided to buy a motocross helmet and goggles. I figure if i'm going to be traveling at speeds of 25-30mph, should I have a crash I want my head/face to be well protected. I regularly hit speeds of 30-40+mph on my cyclocross bike, but only for a few seconds (5-15 seconds at a time) and I feel comfortable wearing a regular bicycle helmet.

My thinking is that since this eBike will weigh around 75lbs (compared to my cyclocross bike at 13lbs), if I had an accident I'd have more mass accelerating me toward the ground or a tree. Think of two vehicles traveling down the road at 30mph, one is a semi truck with a full load, the other is a 4 door sedan. Both slam into a wall and come to a full stop. The likelihood of the semi truck driver walking away is slim because of the large mass, vs the driver of the sedan. (I don't know... that's just my 2 cents. Maybe i've watched too many YouTube videos of car crashes, lol.)

Last edited by TexasElectric; 05-09-2017 at 12:41 PM..