View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingie View Post
but in the military we had a stop every hour, which i understood well why
We usually stopped every two hours. In Afghanistan we hoped to stop more frequently than that to check our loads, but we also preferred relieving ourselves between the wheels than utilizing Gatorade bottles.

We never had anyone shoot at us, though.

In the National Guard we stopped every two hours to utilize the latrine and refuel.

Please excuse me, when I quoted you there were many broken red lines, so I clicked on them and made them go away:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby79 View Post
If the Grapevine (I-5) is too much grade, then Donner (I-80) is out of the question. Donner is the big brother to the little Grapevine, Mom doesn’t have to know.
1+ on US 95-US395 dropping over the Cascade mount range into Eugene, or skip the Siskiyou mountain range on I-5.

Susanville to Klamath Falls
Options
Susanville, CA 139N changes to OR 39 at state line to Klamath Falls, OR, was a 50+mi shortcut with a steep tight climb up out of Susanville. This was my routine commute Klamath Falls to Reno once a week 600 mi round trip. This is a length restricted route 35' king pin to rear axel. by Susanville You will have to decide just how comfortable you are with the trailer and supper long wheelbase truck.
The other option is stay on US 395 to Alturas, west on CA299, north on CA139/ OR39 to k-falls.

MY personal perspective: avoid northern I-5. Shasta to Eugene. The Terrain is bad enough that both BNSF and UP Railroads rerouted off the I-5 corridor in Dunsmuir, CA through Klamath Falls, OR adding over 100mi but cuts fuel use which costs more than the extra 100+ mi of track maintenance in steam days. I-5 was going to go through K-falls but getting 4 Lane interstate, freight/ passenger rail, and frontage road past the lake was too expensive. There are still some deadly narrow spots with only single track and a 2 lane road with no shoulders on either side.
I was not planning on driving Donner pass. Trying to read about The Grapevine was interesting to read that the only place that compared with it was Ashland; my sister mentioned wanting to stop there to take a picture.

So, you recommend taking US-97 and OR-58, even though it sounds pretty dangerous? It's true, I could break my neck. But it's a risk you're willing to take?