View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
OilFilter
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
Is your Cherokee an automatic? Most automatics can't handle engine-off coasting.
Why is that? Yes, it is an automatic, and yes, I coast downhill with the engine off all the time. Put it in neutral and kill the engine. My biggest concern is the extra work on the starter, but, it's easy to replace and I'm going to make sure it has extra large cables to keep the cranking voltage as high as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I suggest leaving your alternator on the engine, but having a kill switch for it so you can turn it on when going down hills to capture some of that kinetic energy.
I'd like to get rid of the belt system entirely. I know the alternator doesn't use a lot, but completely eliminating the belt would sure help eliminate a lot of energy waste. Also, using it to re-capture energy going downhill through the engine is very inefficient...the compression braking from turning the engine crankshaft would eat up more energy than the alternator.

I'm not attempting to do any electric driving of the wheels, just every accessory. Also keep in mind my Jeep only weighs about 3,000lbs - only slightly more than a small economy car. Of course, more batteries means more weight, but more regenerative braking means less batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jray3 View Post
Wow, off-the-shelf differential mounted alternators! (of course overpriced)
That's cool, I didn't know they made kits like that. I doubt they make one that fits a Jeep, but, definitely something that could be copied. With something like that I would still have the option to flip a switch and generate electricity even while driving with gas, if the batteries are getting low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
How will you convert the air conditioning to 12v electric?
There are a number of 12v A/C compressors available these days, but more likely, I would use a standard 120v A/C compressor running from an inverter, which I plan to install anyway.

Quote:
Only like 3 people on here besided my self have even been able to go electric on power steering.
I don't know about this board, but electric power steering conversions are becoming more and more popular. LOTS more than 3 people have done it. This is another thing that is common in the hot rod world, they like to remove the belt accessories to make it look pretty under the hood, I like to remove them to save energy.

Quote:
I have an electronic water pump and I actually do not recommend them unless part of a coolant prewarming circulation setup.
This is also very common in the hot rod world. No reason it can't be done if it's done right. They cool big block V8s with electric pumps these days. Streetable, too...not just for drag racing. These parts are already available off the shelf.

It really doesn't take a lot of controls for all the things I'm planning, certainly much less than it would take to install a large electric motor for propulsion. Simple thermostats and relays will do most of the work.