View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 07:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
There's a pattern or two to observe. Millions of low IQ "immigrants " are stressed by driving. Things are happening too fast for them, and the ability to conceptualize potential results is beyond them (they do not -- can not -- look far down the road). So, expect tailgating for their being on the phone, drinking a forty, thru construction, and (worst of all) in bad weather. They are dependent on others to get them down the road. What is twelve feet in front of them is the comfort zone.

Test it by changing lanes on a three or more laned highway. If the road is "clear" to them, they'll speed up. Mirrors are useless to them because, again, they cannot make the translation.

Hard to shake. Slowing doesn't bother them. Especially the drunks. If one is significantly slower than other traffic, then they'll sometimes leech onto that crowd. That's a best situation.

The greater the general level of "unconsciousness" (let's call it) the greater the impulse to be part of a group. Driving in a pack. Whether handicapped by God, smart phone or legal and illegal intoxicants, tailgating isn't perceived by the actor as necessarily harmful. After all, he's got your back!

I've run about 40,000-miles this year. More than double that last year. All over the US. In a difficult to control or stop vehicle. My livelihood.

Look for patterns. Some are regional endemic (they're told to do what everyone else does, as reading for comprehension ain't gonna happen). Etc.

Same mind-set believes Interstate left lane has ROW. There is none. Only right lane. I can't tell you how often the terminally stupid cut in front of my 79,000-lb rig to "get out of the way" of someone tailgating them in the left lane (a football field length is about right to change lanes to get in front of a tractor trailer). I generally use my high beams until they're well out of the way.

Those entering an Interstate tailgating -- less than 100' feet apart -- are also operating dangerously. Illegally. Again, no ROW. Right lane traffic has about a 700' space (rough). If right lane traffic has to brake or change lanes, entering traffic is at fault. But this group -- yet again -- can't determine the "how" of it.

It's not just tailgating. That's a symptom.

You know how often I see someone correctly enter an Interstate? A few times per year.

On a 70-mph road, you need to be doing above 70 coming down that ramp. And then use brakes lightly to fit into the best spot. Which is never ahead of a big truck unless you can clear the 700' mark. As he's likeliest to be at 65 or lower, this ain't much of a challenge.

And Americans used to do it. Until the 1979-80 "fuel crisis". Since then legions of women and the benighted are now on the Interstate.

High solo passenger mpg is just a stunt. Proves exactly zero (hiding behind a spreadsheet is for pussies). Do the relative high mpg with the vehicle loaded to manufacturers rated maximum weight according to a certified scale, and there might be some bragging rights. About 10,000-miles worth. One might then be a master of any and all conditions.

Don't ever claim you can drive for economy, unless you've done that. The difference on my pickup is 2,300-lbs. I've written it as "doesn't fall below X-mpg average loaded or empty, rain or shine, day or night, traffic or no traffic, and traversing a major American city". Do likewise.

An old saying is that you can't fix stupid. Make your peace with potential results. And don't sacrifice your life for theirs. Your family needs you. Protestations to the contrary, their actions are that they care neither about their own families or themselves. (It shouldn't be stressful, is the point.)

When driving makes you tired, it's primarily because you don't know how. Not physically, emotionally or spiritually. Age, experience and total miles are not good determinants of ability, unfortunately.

But subjecting vehicle and driver to the full range of conditions internal and external to the vehicle for over 10k miles, will begin to remedy that. Begin to remedy . . . .

Tailgaters are just a short chapter in the learners exercise book.

Last edited by slowmover; 05-20-2017 at 08:37 AM..