View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #3124 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemodder View Post
Thanks thingstodo! I found the version that works with this motor. It's strange, the newer FW version seems to just make lots of noise and then trip the overcurrent.
It's good you found the right version .. and kinda weird that the newer firmware does bad things.

Quote:
I'm considering getting the newer board (SMT) so I can use that as the main traction motor controller, then couple the shafts with the old one and use it as a regen / dyno. If I measure the amount of power going into the battery pack, I should be able to 'guestimate' the power output of the unit. This all hinges on how much brake torque the regen can generate.
The testing I did with a DC motor (and Paul's DC controller) coupled to an AC motor (and Paul's AC Controller) leads me to believe that you generate power with regen down to a certain speed. Like maybe 500 rpm. Lower than that it actually draws power from the pack to stop with regen.

Quote:
Worst case scenario I have a prius IPM motor that I can rectify and variably load dissipate since it doesn't really require a controller to regen.

I also wanted to play with the IPM motors as traction motors. I didn't see resolver the encoder boards for sale. Anybody know if these are still available?
The resolver to encoder boards were there last time I looked. Maybe Paul ran out and has not re-ordered the boards?

IPM motors as traction is interesting ... let us know how it goes!