View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #183 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
The challenging issue would be to fit it in a way that wouldn't require me to raise the floor of its rear luggage compartment too much, since it's originally fitted with the axial-fan engine. I'd not want to use a Subaru engine, and Volkswagen's own wasserboxer from the Vanagons are unobtainium here, so maybe the only way to go would be the non-crossflow EA827, and finding a way to tilt it a little more to the right side for clearance would be still needed. I'm sure it would also need some custom intake and exhaust manifolds.
Wikipedia doesn't say whether the Vanagon Diesel uses the EA827, but they are laid way over, available here:

Quality German Auto Parts ~|~ VW 1600cc (1.6) Turbo Diesel Vanagon

I looked over and touched the Dasher today. I still haven't driven it, but I watched it being moved inside for the night; it started right up.

No cracks in the taillights or turn signals; the vinyl dash will get aluminum tape and then Plastidip. I hope to perfect the transaction on Friday. Tyler said I was the first one he whispered the price to; and it was a done deal in that instant. The Superbeetle was for sale parked in a farmer's field.

It's the perfect time to buy that convertible in the background. It's not too late to respray it in a year-correct L-code color; possibly:
  • Yukon Yellow (L-19K)
  • Kansas Beige (L91D)