View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #54 (permalink)
TexasElectric
EcoModding Lurker

sendler

About a month ago I almost bought a Kawasaki Z125. I did a lot of research online comparing the Honda Grom to the Z125 and decided the Z125 to be a better fit for me. I offered the dealer $3,200 cash (which I had in my hand), he countered at $3,700, I countered at $3,400, he countered at $3,600 and I walked away. I am glad I didn't buy it because I've owned two motorcycles in the past (2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R, and a 2000 Yamaha YZF-R1). Both bikes were awesome and tons of fun! But, as i remember very clearly, tires don't last very long (just a few thousand miles) and they're expensive, chains require constant maintenance (plus the chain tension), not to mention a laundry list of things on the bike that require on going attention/maintenance.

Motorcycles aren't as care free as the automobile. I drive all my cars (past and present) like an old lady. (nothing but oil changes, tire rotations, and the occasional fluid top off). Conversely, i'm not going to sit here and try to defend my position on building an eBike (over buying a motorcycle), because eBikes require ongoing maintenance too.

5/28 update:
I returned the yoga mat. I am going to keep looking around for an EVA foam 7, 8, or 10mm thick mat. (i'd like to find it locally so I can compare them in person).

I bought a few more things online.
2x ($19.90) 8 GAUGE COPPER #10 RING 25 PK CRIMP TERMINAL CONNECTOR AWG GA CAR EYE CUR810
2x ($71.92) Continental E Contact Tire 700 x 42

I am not able to use the knobby 29r mountain bike tires because they won't seat themselves on the 700c wheel, (the bead is 2-3mm in diameter too big). I haven't read/heard much in he way of consumer feedback on the Continental E Contact tires which are eBike specific. I am hoping that they are a harder compound tire that'll last me 10,000-15,000 miles.

In a previous post I said I'd have the bike complete in the next week or two... I am taking my time because I want to do it right, plus I don't want to see a massive amount of cash just disappear from my bank account while working on this project. Each weekend I allocate $100-$150 to spend on parts. Slowly and surely it's getting there.