View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 03:07 AM   #14 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
As long as China and India don't think it's a problem there isn't anything the developed world can do.
Any reductions made by the US, oh Canada, UK, and Europe will be replaced and them some by fast growing China and india.
The only thing the big developed nations could do that would have any lasting or immediate effect would be to build more nuclear power plants.
Everyone says they want to reduce CO2 until they are actually given options that will reduce CO2. Then all of a sudden they don't want to do it.
Do note that China is leading the way in terms of renewables, with thier big hydroelectric and solar projects.

-

I feel sort of... semi-optimistic that we can still reduce our carbon footprint further. More and more, online work and even online shopping are reducing the need for travel. When you've got a population that only travels for special occassions rather than to work and shop, you've got a vastly reduced carbon footprint per head.

Then there's the whimsical news that the adoption of LED lighting is shrinking the GDP... ...we've got ways to bring things down without spending huge amounts.

Maybe the future won't have millions of cars in it... and maybe I won't be able to read at night by the warm glow of an incandescent bulb (but "fake" LED-powered incandescent-a-likes, with their LED "filaments" are amusing enough)... but I expect I can live with that.