View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 07:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

Near the beginning of my daily commute; I get on a 65 mph four lane and go about 7.5 miles to a small town with about 5 traffic lights. I'll run 61 on that stretch and don't feel unsafe, as I think probably the median speed is around 68-69 on that stretch, as, like I say, we don't outnumber the cops too badly in this rural area, so most drivers don't get crazy, even the ones who'd like to. In general, people drive home faster than I see in the mornings, but the morning run starts before 6:30 a.m. If I were facing 7:30 traffic, it'd probably be worse.

Then I go a couple of miles through a small town; then on 2-lane, 55 mph, state hwy for about 17 miles. I run 57-58 and usually won't have traffic come up behind me, but do sometimes. It then opens up to 4-lane for a couple of miles and the limit goes to 60. I'll usually speed up to 60. It then turns off and goes along winding county roads down to and across a dam to a fish hatchery where I work. Absolutely beautiful country during this last leg. I'm never holding up traffic during that stretch and usually don't see any.

But I've noticed if I'm in big cities, people want to run me and others over, even running 5 mph over the speed limit. It's a different world; especially Nashville and i'ts metropolitan satellite cities.