View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #60 (permalink)
TexasElectric
EcoModding Lurker

Grant-53

That looks cool, like a time trial bike except the rider is aerodynamically protected from the wind.

6/2 Update,

I bought a 60w soldering iron earlier this week (and flux, and lead free solder). I watched a TON of YouTube videos of people giving their opinion about soldering vs spot welding. I decided to do a test soldering on one of the cells. Because of the "higher" power soldering iron I was able to very quickly apply the solder to the cell without heating it up too much. I estimate the cell temperature (specifically the negative side) got up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit at most. I was able to touch the soldered spot within a few seconds after soldering the wire to the cell.

I tried soldering the nickel strip, but that failed miserably, so copper it is!

I think having a larger cell '32650' vs '18650' allows the heat to disperse more efficiently.

I am going to buy 10AWG solid wire to solder to the cells, (I was testing 14 AWG in the picture).

I would need to apply a little more solder, but I was able to apply quite a bit of force trying to pull the wire off before it finally came off.

The Following User Says Thank You to TexasElectric For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-02-2017)