View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 04:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
AMG Nitro - 100 mpg, 110 cc

Off topic...

I put my 100mpg toy back on the road today:

I think I've made her properly useable now.

I had put a notably larger front sprocket on her after the end of last season, as well as an intake adapter that lets me choose the position of the carb/intake. I never got to test them, mind you.

I had put a tiny volt meter next to the speedometer last season to diagnose a frequently undercharged battery. Being able to see what was going on under the surface was invaluable. I discovered the magneto was insufficient for the electrical load with the lights on, and with them all off, the voltage would rise well above what was healthy for the battery.

Today, I put on a larger voltage regulator/rectifier and a charge plug/port for the inaccessible battery. The regulator in the old rectifier/regulator was fried, and charging the battery involved tapping in to the electrical system, which was completely inconvenient. I also put in an LED compatible, adjustable flasher while I was in there.

The new regulator worked like a charm; voltage won't rise above 14.4v. I don't have to turn the headlight on when I'm cruising, or off when I'm waiting at a light. It's from a 200cc Honda-clone ATV engine, two or three times as large of a heatsink on it, and positioned to get direct airflow. Hopefully that means it's a done deal, otherwise I'll go with plan B of making a small circuit to automatically bleed the power off through the headlight.

With the regulator functioning, and the new flasher in, I can continue lightening the electrical load by converting over to LEDs. Idling at a light with the indicator, headlight and brake light all on, you can see the voltage slowly drop the longer you sit there. Besides, I love LEDs.

The taller gearing has made me lose the stupid level of acceleration (which was fun), but has made cruising at speed much quieter. The 110cc engine I swapped in (the old engine's rings were fried) would start screaming at about 50km/hr in top (4th) gear. It made cruising annoying, and I could not get her over 60km/hr, and only that by crouching low over the handlebars. She now maxes out at 70km/hr on level ground sitting upright, 75 if I crouch down. 60 is an easy/quiet cruise, to the point that I kept finding myself speeding in 50 zones. The taller gearing should help with gas mileage.

Oh, this was all sparked by my picking up a new helmet this morning. I finally found a good deal on a "used" helmet big enough to fit me; I've been looking for months. I wanted a full face helmet, as my old-school scooter style helmet doesn't really suit the bike, and I can't stand the wind blowing around my eyes. Turned out to actually be unused. Guy stopped riding before he started using it.

Chinese made, but DOT approved, and the whole front flipping up is very convenient. I'm happy with it.

Alrighty. Thanks for tuning in.

Last edited by Stubby79; 06-09-2017 at 12:23 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (06-05-2017), niky (06-13-2017), SH@UN (06-14-2017)