View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #55 (permalink)
Bicycle Bob
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Starting from my velomobile, which cruises on 1/10 HP, I'm slowly working on a motorized inter-city version. Sketches show a 1 + 1 seating plan, bobsled style, on a tadpole trike. A Honda Cub engine and transmission go up front for easy head cooling and cabin heating, with benefits for the aero stability. A long chain goes to the rear wheel, but it could be hybridized for 2 or 3wd with the electrics up front. (As batteries get better, I might switch to an extreme pedelec instead, as the battery ballast can be very handy on a relatively tall, narrow format. Other sketches in the series have needed a manually controlled chassis tilting device to achieve maximum cornering speed without brakes on, and this one does when fully loaded.)

Usually, I'd use mine for a monthly 2-hr run to the city for hardware and organic grub. The back seat would fill with cargo. If a passenger appeared at the airport and needed the space, the load would move to fold-down running boards and tied-in bags. With everything inside, I'd expect 400 MPG at 60 MPH without too much fussing over the details.

The chassis will be another demonstration of full integration of frame and suspension, with one blending into the other at wide leaf spring "hinges." This time it will be done in stitch 'n' glue plywood, a favourite with home boatbuilders, with some extra fiberglass on the spring sections. I hope that the plans will be easily adaptable to other sizes and shapes, with the help of a calculator I'm trying to write on a spreadsheet now.

For a body material, I'm thinking of using layers of Corrugated Polypropylene signage material. It gets very tough as thickness builds up, and accurate spiling of the strips would only slow down the silicon drying. A thin top skin of foam and 'glass should make it look pretty. The guy prodding me for the first set of plans will do his in cedar strip.

The budget will depend on luck in scrounging, and how much time I'm able to spend making custom bits. I tend to be fussy about custom parts in the vicinity of the hubs. Tires will be 17 X 2.5" or so, in hopes of getting a supply of Michelin Solar Car tires someday.