View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

I think it's all about motivation. If you have an alternative to the automobile, you use it if it's more attractive. I wonder if there is a resource to get national annual miles driven on a per capita basis. That may tell the tale. I suspect Americans, Canadians, and Aussie's drive the most, but that my perception (which could be way off base).

If I only put 2,000 miles per year on a car, FE wouldn't be much of a concern to me. ($5/gal gas and 2k annual miles = $770 with a 13mpg SUV versus $220 with a 45mpg Metro). Although the eco-friendly thing to do, my neighbor's new Prius doesn't make finanacial sense for grocery-getter and run to the post office duty.

Other than Boston and the light rail in the downtown area, the mass transit I've experienced in the US is almost painful to use.

Another thought; Everytime I see some add for 'tell the oil companies to shove it, running your car on water! Let me show you how' I have to laugh. Like our friends across the pond haven't had motivation to get much better FE, as if the only society with high fuel prices is here in the US. Please.

I also look to small turbo Diesel's as a short term stop-gap. Beyond that, I predict non-fossil fuel electricy to become more attractive as a result of breakthroughs in fussion-fission hybrid technology, making battery EV and hydrogen ICE powered vehicles the norm.