View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #35 (permalink)
straight5
EcoModding Learner

nonikname - '99 Saab 9-5 2.3t
90 day: 33.71 mpg (US)
A few thoughts.
Concerning the value of a diesel Cruze - most diesel cars seem to hold their value a little better than the gas model - especially at higher mileage, and when the price of gas goes up.
A friend commented that he thought the GM diesel has been around for a few years in Europe - If that is true then you might want to look into that.
EOC in a turbo car is generally not a good idea. It can be ok, but you need to know when not to do it and why. I drive a Saab turbo 5sp and eoc, but not as often as I could with a NA.
I agree with the comment that DCTs seem to have a fairly high failure rate.
I also agree with the comments about the standard shift transmissions having the potential to get better mileage that the EPA rating suggest.
If a cruze has a trifecta tune, wouldn't it still get the same mileage as before if driven easy? Just because it has more horsepower, doesn't mean you always have to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Like I said above, I've driven plenty of Cruze rental cars with the 1.4L turbo and automatic. I've had no problem getting 40 - 42 mpg in mixed driving.
I've rented a few cruzes also, and had basically the same experience.

I wish that I had noticed the age of this thread before I commented

Quote:
"God is a God who both created the universe, and also had a plan that included me as an individual human being. And that he has made it possible for me, through this series of explorations, to realize that. It is not just a philosophy, it is a reality of a relationship. "
Francis S Collins - director of the National Human Genome Research Institute