View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #14 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

Stop pretending it makes financial sense to get rid of the cruze.

It doesn't, assuming it is a reliable car.

You want the Camaro because it is fun and looks cool. I rented one in Vegas in december. I was thoroughly impressed. The 3.6 V-6 with the 8 speed auto with paddle shifers is an awesome drivetrain. My wife has a '12 V-6 6 speed 'stang. That new Camaro has it all over the Mustang. Smoother, makes its power at lower revs and that Camaro was the best handling car I ever drove, by a pretty wide margin.

I have one complaint.

You are sitting in a cave.

The door sills are about neck high. And I have a very long torso, with short legs. Someone with a short torso would need a damn periscope to drive that thing.

If you want to cruise the vegas strip, windows down, arm hanging out the window, looking cool, this is not the car for you. You will dislocate your shoulder.

If you want to stay up in the canyons, chasing guys on their sport bikes, this is the car.

After 2 days in the Camaro we decided that we were doing more of the former than the latter and we drove it back to the airport and traded it for a 4cylinder ecoboost ragtop Mustang. Much better at cruising the strip, much worse at canyon carving.

If I was in the market for one of these and lived in a warm climate, I'd get a ragtop V-6 Camaro. I haven't driven their 6 speed manual, so I would likely go with it, but that 8 speed paddle shifter was pretty damn sweet.

As for mileage, I am sure the Camaro has the ability to make good numbers. The trouble is, the entire time you are driving it, it is whispering in your ear "screw mileage, let's play!!!". I was on vacation and was all about playing.