View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 02:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Stubby79
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
As when I brought it home:

And after a bit of cleaning:

Sachs motor in it with chain guard/side case off. Front fender off, as front tire was replaced with a slightly larger one that rubbed. Missing (And still is) one of the two headlights.

Had a bit over 3000kms on it:

Not very many K's on the engine, and it was already fried...well, it is a chinese knockoff of the Honda horizontal engines. 3k is more than I would have really expected.

This was the gas that was in it, probably what took starting from very difficult to impossible:

Oh, yes, the starter solenoid was toast. I had a spare, thankfully. The good thing about these honda-clones...the parts are mostly interchangeable.

110cc engine, freshly pulled:

Painting:

Note the position of the starter...it means I can't have the carb facing backwards like it was on the Sachs motor. (there are two positions for them, if you're buying one...under or over).

Old motor out:

Puzzling out the different wiring:

(and changing the color of one wire with heat shrink tube, to match every other wiring schematic out there)

Motor in:

...with the goose-neck intake, facing forwards.

Notice the wires dangling down in front of the rear tire, below the swing-arm? That little space has to house the battery, the CDI, the flasher, the starter relay and the rectifier/regulator. The battery is about the size of my fist.

It's real fun screwing the wires to the terminals in that cramped space. And forcing the plastic covers through too small of a space to get them on...hence why I made sure to do everything under there that needed doing all at once last week; I don't want to have to go in there again any time soon.

Anyway, that finally got her on the road, back to the pic found in my first post:

And a subsequent shot:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-14-2017), Grant-53 (06-09-2017), MetroMPG (06-09-2017)