View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Happydad4
EcoModding Lurker

Il Duce - '17 Fiat 500 pop
90 day: 31.18 mpg (US)
Talking I have a new Fiat 500!

Hello All!

I purchased a 2017 Fiat 500, 5-speed (pop). I used to drive a Prius C but had to get rid of it because my daughter needs it for college and I can't afford another one. I used to get around 46 - 52 mpg out of the Prius C by driving normally. The 4-cyl engine in the Prius is underpowered so I'm sort of glad to get rid of it. Anyway, this situation ushered the opportunity to get into a little car that I've always wanted.

Trading a hybrid for a 1.4L also brought me back to this forum. I need to get back into hypermiling driving tactics that I used before I bought the Prius when I drove a Toyota Matrix XRS. I don't mind driving this way as long as it doesn't piss off drivers that don't hesitate to pop you the "finger". Southern California's slow lane speed is NOT 55 and I remember being stopped by the CHP for obstructing traffic . I'm looking forward to seeing how much mileage I can get out of the Fiat with the help of this forum.

My practices so far are: I shift under 2k rpm, coast everywhere that I can, turn off the car when I can but this is really difficult and scary at red lights where I'm not familiar with their times, and other general stuff. Let's see how this works out!