View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

How about this hairbraned idea?

Add a large auxillary battery, a selector circuit, and an alternator disable feature. It could work like this: Charge the aux battery at work and home. Run the car off the aux battery in 'total loss' mode (that is, no charging by the alternator). If you are on a long trip, or if you fogot to plug in your car, or half-dozen other problem come up, the 'smart circuit' senses the low voltage across he aux battery's terminals, and switches over to the OEM alternator/battery. The so-called smart circuit wpuld need to monitor the OEM batteries condition as well, and isolate the two like my old camper did.

A couple downsides include weight and space (aux battery, charger and relay switches), one more thing to break (although I could imagine a simple knife switch bypass).

Add a forklift battery and charger, then coming up with an appropriate relay and 'smart circuit' ? Leave the OEM battery and alternator in place. Charge off the grid, or better, off photovoltaics. Use a large enough aux battery to run the CPU, lights, wipers, radio, etc.

I'm not battery guru or electrics expert, why is this a dumb idea?