View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 01:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
wheel arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugmanic View Post
I have a question over vortex generators. I understand that they have very specific uses, and come with their own drag penalties, but I was wondering if they can be used to reduce certain problem areas of auto aerodynamics.

Looking at their use in Aircraft, they are predominantly used to keep flow attached to a wing with a high angle of attack, to lower stall speed of the wing.

Would it not make sense to install them in front of the front wheel arch/well? By installing one or more VG on the front bumper/wing, would this smooth airflow around the front wheels?

I have no means of testing or simulating this.
Goro Tamai,in his book on solar racers mentioned 'taco' fairings,which did resemble hard taco shells,which were put the belly at the leading opening of the hourglass-shaped openings of steering wheels.
The fairings were to cause the air to 'jump' the void,then re-attach the flow once past the openings.Tesla uses a form of these underneath their Model S.
I suppose one could attach them vertically in hopes of jumping the body-side's wheel openings,however,historically,a flush wheel skirt would offer better performance.