View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #91 (permalink)
ar5boosted
EcoModding Apprentice

So, I have been looking lately at one new Suzuki, it's a resurrected old model.

- Suzuki Baleno MPG - Actual MPG from 13 Suzuki Baleno owners

I had the old model which got 25-30mpg. The new model has ie 2016/2017 now gets 44mpg.

The engine size went down from 1.6 to 1.0T but I know for a fact that these new cars are not driven softly. What are Suzuki doing ?

This new turbo baleno and vitara are now very close to being as economical as the 2003-2015 models of Prius Toyota Prius MPG - Actual MPG from 5,977 Toyota Prius owners . In fact you could read them as being the same.

My half-baked idea is that although turbo-engines not stressed running at a vacuum, it's not the air-pressure that's causing the vacuum but the fuel. If you stop providing the fuel the engine stops.

So would it be-possible / has-it-been-tried to run a convential ICE with inlet-manifold boost and a very small amount of fuel, say only just enough to keep the cylinders firing? Then simply really slow down the fueling and manage temperatures.

This would equal a high-efficiency high-compression engine right ? Obviously this requires computers that do custom thermal management and not thinking like "oh just richen everything up to cool the cylinders".

If not this, then what are Suzuki doing ? :-)

future - probably a Prius