View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #109 (permalink)
Enki
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
If you are just motivating a light weight, aerodynamic vehicle that needs only a few horsepower to cruise along, boost and ultra lean mixes produce effective torque with little damaging heat ( almost none is left to operate the turbo beyond a few psi ). This is a far cry than what you are talking about. I have burned my share of engines as a young gearhead, but I don't fear lean mixtures like you do. It is a sure fire way to gain 15% fuel economy by limiting your throttling losses. Add in the reduction of heat loss to the cooling and you can gain even more.
I don't fear lean mixtures; every one of the tunes I ran on my car utilized it; there's just diminishing returns past a point where you wind up giving more throttle to maintain the same speed and as a result the fuel consumption doesn't drop any more. I found this to be 15.5 AFR on my car, while others run their cars as lean as 17:1; somehow, I still have the best miles per tank on a mix of ethanol vs anyone on pump gas and leaner mixtures.

The only thing I'm "afraid" of is people bolting a turbo on to their car expecting one result and ending up buying a new engine because their understanding of how it should be done is incomplete.