View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #116 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
I would build a pickup truck about the size of an extended cab Ford Ranger. Bench seat in front, sideways seating in the back. The back seats should be reasonably comfortable for two adults to sit in for a couple of hours.

Engine would be the latest and greatest four cylinder gas engine with 120 to 150 hp. Two wheel drive. Six speed manual transmission with gear ratios similar to the new Chevrolet Colorado. Lots of attention to low friction in the driveline and wheel bearings.

Ground clearance at least seven inches. Front like the Airflow Bullet Truck. Rear view cameras instead of outside rear view mirrors. Belly pan, possibly integrated into some form of unit body frame/belly pan design. Enough room in the rear wheel wells to use tire chains. Turning circle less than 36 feet. Trailer hitch with 2" receiver.

All LED lights. Kill switch. Large AGM battery. Alternator disable switch. Integrated solar panels to assist in topping off the battery. The AC would NOT be wired to the defroster. Electric PS with capability to disable. Electric power brakes, or better yet, brakes that do not need power assist.

Aero topper with hinged lid similar to mine, except better. Car top carrier to fit the cab. Topper lid strong enough to support a car top carrier.

I would expect to average (close to) 50 MPG in summer with a rig like that.
My plan to build a truck was to start with an old Ranger(likely a 93) and build a lightweight alloy frame and front suspension, swap to an independent rear (Ford 8.8" center section)... Engine would be a 2.4L ecotec (the LE5), tuned for lean burn at cruise, trans would be from the Colorado, and the differential would have a limited slip and 3.08 gears... With body panels replaced with hand-made carbon fiber ones, weight would be around 2500#, and with around 180bhp acceleration would be sprightly, and with aero as clean as possible (aero cap, belly pan, grille blocking, etc) 35-40mpg should be possible under the right conditions...

My last Ecotec project...