View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 04:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
In my country, only disabled drivers are allowed to have their driving test in a vehicle fitted with automatic transmission, even though I still see many paraplegics and leg amputees who still drive cars with manual transmission. Sure a tight budget is the main reason toward shifting their own gears, but the lack of qualified technical assistance for automatic transmissions is another matter of concern back here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
I recently read an article that argued that manuals would be extinct in 5(or was it 10) years. I was very disappointed at first, as I much prefer manual shifting. But then I realized I will not be buying a new manual shifting car in my life. Not because I'm old, but because when I reluctantly buy my next car it will certainly be one speed electric powered. So now I say let the manual die, let the ICE be the option for those road warriors that insist on it. I'll take electric please.
Not sure about electrics becoming mainstream in such a short term, but the overwhelming majority of hybrids don't even have a traditional transmission at all. Considering the incentives for hybrids in Japan and Europe, and the used car exports from those markets to third-world countries in Africa and Latin America, it doesn't really surprise me to see manuals becoming relegated to a handful of grand-tourers and the lowest-end penalty boxes. Even in my homeland Brazil, which usually follows highly conservative standpoints when it comes to engine and transmission options, I see manuals slowly decaying.