View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 11:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
This is a timely subject for me as I now own a car with a catalytic converter. I chose to look into new prices:

https://www.carid.com/1979-volkswage...ic-converters/

They range from $48 to over $300. Any idea what makes the difference? For instance:
Quote:
KooksŪ
Green Ultra High Universal Fit Catalytic Converter # 350072377
Universal Green Ultra High Catalytic Converter by KooksŪ. Emissions: EPA compliant. Converter Configuration: Universal Fit. This product is made of high-quality materials to serve you for years to come. Designed using...
Handles Exhaust Temperatures up to 1500FEliminates Emissions Related "Check Engine Light" (90% Success Rate)

$353.24 - $379.49

vs

KooksŪ
Race High Flow Universal Fit Catalytic Converter # 350072381
Universal Race High Flow Catalytic Converter by KooksŪ. Emissions: EPA compliant. Converter Configuration: Universal Fit. This product is made of high-quality materials to serve you for years to come. Designed using...
Handles Exhaust Temperatures up to 1500FEliminates Emissions Related "Check Engine Light" (90% Success Rate)

$136.81 - $142.41
What I take away is that "Green Ultra High" is twice as expensive as "Race High Flow" though the descriptions are identical.

Kooks! Heh. I should take it to Goofy's Muffler Customs to have it installed (Kidding, I'll flush it first).

I didn't find it but thesamba had a post on replacing the activated charcoal in a charcoal canister (such as my Superbeetle has) using material from a $14 Cadillac part.