View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 10:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Tony Raine
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
But an $8000 mod? There are a lot of reliable and decent mpgable vehicles out there between "well-priced junker" and $8000. It is VERY difficult to get cost effective mods on your vehicle if you are dependent on someone else to do the work. I will continue to encourage folks to learn this stuff for themselves. You *could* do a boneyard manual trans swap AND rearend and cut your springs on many trucks for $500! And have it payed off in a month!

your ideas don't really apply to the planned vehicle. swapping transmissions, even if "easily" doable, will open a can of worms on a 4x4. transmission mounts, any transfercase mounts, and BOTH driveshaft lengths. and cutting -springs defeats the purpose a deisel, crewcab, longbed.

btw, you just don't run the overdrive unit when in 4x4. the key i think is installing the overdrive unit yourself. can't be that hard. then drive to driveshaft shop in front wheel drive, get your rear shaft shortened appropriately (about $100 tops), and bolt it back in.

i really see the price being half this estimate.

-truck - already own (whoever the future guinea pig may be)
-trans mods - if you have owned the truck awhile, chances are it needs trans work already, so i feel this applies to preventative maintenance.
-overdrive unit - just buy it, and install yourself
-tools - socket set and a floor jack? (any DIY'er should already have. you could replace the floor jack with extra pushups)
-Soft flat tonneau - go cheap. vinyl on a roll, snaps, and a sewing machine
-Stock wheels with Mooneye covers - once again, go cheap. you have a truck, you can pick up all kinds of "material" right off the side of the road.

and you still have a truck that does what you bought it for. and you dont have to worry if the little car that big al's used car dealer sold you for way too much money, will leave you sitting on the side of the road at a most in-opportune time.

of course, all this means nothing if someone just bought the truck to look cool. or if they drive a lot of highway miles without a load. thats when they need to buy the econo car.