View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #88 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Turbo chargers are pertty much a no-brainer for diesels. I could see some sort of electric supercharger working for brief periods. I could also see it being used as a means of recovering energy during braking.
Increasing the effectiveness of engine-braking would be another advantage in a, let's say, "hybridized" turbocharger coupled to a starter-generator to overcome turbo-lag and recover energy. Coupling would be similar to what is used in the generator of modern jet-powered airliners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
Cheaper? Debatable. But at least not using variable geometry on the main turbo makes it more robust. Variable geometry turbos are finicky things, and more vulnerable to coking and hydraulic oil-feed failures than many people are comfortable with.
Sometimes, even the regular fixed-geometry turbochargers get under scrutiny for durability and ease of maintenance issues.

Quote:
I'd have thought a simple supercharger for twin-charging would be better... but having a standalone electric supercharger would make for much simpler plumbing and installation than twin-charging.
I don't understand how an all-electric supercharger would be easier to do the plumbing, even though it wouldn't require a mechanical drive.