View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
ProDigit
EcoModding Apprentice

Cheap Turbo motorcycle system?

Hi guys,

I realize a turbo is opposite to saving fuel, however I don't know another forum where I could post this.

I have a Honda Rebel 250cc. Great bike.
And I want a little more power.
It's good enough in gas mileage (I get between 66MPG full throttle, to 115/120MPG at best); but sometimes I wished I had more power for the highways.

The Rebel uses an old style carburetor, and I want to keep cost down for a turbo upgrade.
I'm looking at a small turbo, that would give anywhere between 4 to 9 PSI boost.

I don't want to change my cams, and I don't want to install a fuel controller.

I've devised a system (but haven't put it to work yet) that might or might not function properly...

The fuel goes from the tank through the fuel line (with inline fuel filter), to a splitter. From the splitter it goes to the carburetor (standard route), while the other side of the splitter, the fuel is going to a small opening in the air intake (say, a fixed jet of a fixed size), before the turbo.
Before the turbo I basically have a carburetor-like device without butterfly valve.
The fuel gets diffused in the air stream, and through the turbo, and compressed before it hits the carburetor air intake.

The more the turbo sucks the air intake, the more fuel it will suck in, basically enriching the bike's stock settings.
I will think I'm running a bit rich on idle, but I hope it'll work out nice over the rev-range. A jet gives me the flexibility to connect it to a choke cable, and adjust it as I ride, to see what size jet I need, and if the system is fixed, or if I will have to adjust the fuel supply depending on the throttle position or boost.

I'm hoping this system would work, by leaving my carburetor fully stock, and have only one jet to work on before the turbo.

My question would be:
- Will a turbo blow back the fuel through the fuel lines (eliminate the vacuum)?
- Will there be any danger in fuel combusting when it gets compressed in the turbo?
- Will my motorcycle be able to handle the extra air? (it has a 9,2:1 compression), but is aircooled, so I suspect the PSI to go up to 199PSI at full load, peak HP.
- There might be a small chance I can use a single fixed jet?

Last edited by ProDigit; 06-25-2017 at 11:06 PM..