View Single Post
Old 06-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #90 (permalink)
TexasElectric
EcoModding Lurker

California98Civic
Yah... a 0.6 volt decrease over 23.75 miles has me in shock and awe myself. I should have documented (through video) checking the voltage before and after. I'll video tape it next time.

About 95% of the ride was throttle only. (I don't have a pedal assist sensor mounted at this time)

A little more info on the ride: (according to my Garmin)
'test ride'
- 4.26 miles
- 00:21:46 minutes (hh:mm:ss)
- average speed 11.75mph
- maximum speed 21.69mph
- ascent 65.6ft
- descent 72.2ft

'on the road ride'
- 19.5 miles
- 01:06:37 minutes (hh:mm:ss)
- average speed 17.53mph
- maximum speed 26.01mph
- ascent 528.2ft
- descent 524.9ft

The roads were mostly flat, I did have two hills (one small and one big). I decided I wanted to see what it'd be like to have to pedal up the big hill without any assist from the motor (should I find myself out of juice). The big hill wasn't that bad, I just keep a high cadence and chugged along at 6-7mph. The small hill I backed off the throttle and kept the watts between 500w-600w, (I slowed down from 21mph to 14mph while on the small hill).

I stopped about 3 times while out riding to check the motor, controller, and batteries to make sure they weren't getting hot. Everything felt fine. Yesterdays temperatures were in the high 80's, and all the bike components felt cool to the touch.

I do have a beef with the display that was provided with the kit I bought. The display only seems to show me watts in increments of 50/75 (even though it's a digital display capable of displaying numbers 0-9). It jumps around a lot. I'd be riding down a flat road then start to go up a slight hill and i'd see the watts read out change back and forth between 375 watts and 450, then it holds steady at 450, shortly thereafter it starts flashing back and forth between 450 and 515. If it's going to behave like this I can only estimate my power usage while riding.

To fix my display problem I placed an order for this https://www.amazon.com/HTRC-Precisio...=rc+watt+meter, i'll also buy a cheapo $15-20 spoke mounted speedometer to give me my speed.

I'm a little physically/mentally tired from obsessively working on the bike over the past 6-7 days straight. I'm going to take 2-3 days off (after I finish cutting the wood for the 'gills' on the side of the battery box).

Picture of the "gills" on the side of the battery box. I decided to go for an abstract look. I'll place a mesh over the holes to keep out dirt/debris.