View Single Post
Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #85 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
You could get a light duty truck rear axle, a 3rd member, have it shortened by a machine shop.
The total cost would depend a lot on if the axles could be shortened down as far as needed. Some axles have a shank that is thinner than the splines. Most are the same diameter as the splines.
Total coat of machine work should be well under $1,000.

Also last year I bought a 21kw peak, 17.5kw run generator for $1100. Normal retail is around $3,600.
Nice ideas!
If I used a truck rear axle I probably wouldn't even go through getting it shortened. But the question would be, how would I get a motorcycle engine with a chain sprocket to work with a driveshaft on a truck differential? It might be possible.

I could use any AC generator as long as I had the money for a battery charger to go along with it since I can't use the Leaf's own battery charger. They are quite expensive. But if I did do that I would have the benefit of being able to charge not only on the road, but charge faster at charging stations. Otherwise I'd have to stop to charge.

Example: Upgrade My Leaf | Upgrade charging system in Your Nissan Leaf and slash 0-80% recharging time down to 90 minutes !

But then again the idea of stopping to charge appeals to me. Recently someone on the MyNissanLeaf forum actually was able to charge a Leaf fairly well from a standard portable generator. But most people seem to have lots of problems with using a standard generator on a Leaf, and no problems with the pure sine wave inverter generators.