View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
JockoT
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
It's the other drivers fault.

We all know that hypermiling would be easy if it wasn't for the other drivers on the road! I have always had a bugbear about the poor or non existent use of indicators/turn signals by many other motorists but since starting on my quest for better fuel consumption figures I am doubly aware of the impact these lazy/thoughtless drivers can have on my quest for better numbers.
Here in the UK roundabouts are the norm, so much so that they are starting to paint them in the road at every suitable location and almost all new roads are having them built in as a matter of course. The benefit of roundabouts is the allow free movement of traffic with little need to stop, as long as drivers use their signals. There is nothing worse than having to stop for another vehicle who then takes the road that you are on, without signalling. And poor lane discipline (some roundabouts have marked lanes on their approach) doesn't help.
This morning I had to stop for a driver who was sitting astride the lane for going round the roundabout and for going off the roundabout. He wasn't signalling. You've guessed it. He turned into the route I was joining from.
Okay, rant over.