View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
JockoT
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
Question Problem with Pulse and Glide.

Today I had an 80 mile journey on main A roads and decided to give Pulse and Glide a try. Now, at present, all I have to indicate my fuel consumption is a trip average indicator which is factory fitted to my Jazz.
What I found was, if I accelerated up to 55 mph and removed my foot from the throttle, it was only a matter of seconds before the speed dropped to 45 mph, the slowest the traffic, and my passenger (wife), would accept. The vehicle barely weighs a ton. I tried 60 mph and 50 mph, which was a bit better for length of glide, but my consumption indicator started to drop back. I also found it made for an uncomfortable trip, as the transmission does not feel all that smooth going from acceleration to deceleration.
The reason I opted for 50 mph as a minimum speed was the fact that my rev counter dropped to around 2000 rpm and I was trying to keep in DFCO mode.
I found that the best fuel figures seemed to be with a light throttle and engine on coasting, on reasonable downgrades.
Once I get a ScanGauge fitted I will be able to make a better judgement, but have you guys got any tips or comments that may help?