View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypochondriac View Post
I have a 2000 accord Automatic, I can't seem to hypermile. Despite my best efforts I only get around the EPA MPG sometimes less

My car doesn't seem to enter DFCO. I can be coasting downhill in Drive at around 55/60 mpg, but the engine load and Fuel use (gallons/minute) stay at idle levels

When driving on a flat road P&G doesn't seem to save gas. I'm better off maintaining a choice constant speed. Load will be ~80 and MPG will be slightly above EPA estimates

Tires are all at the sidewall max.
I hope you can read this as an encouragement, lower your expectations. Don't compare yourself with the elite. Be happy with improving your personal best. You drive an automatic which severely limits the techniques available to you, the biggest is not being able to EOC. I've never been able to see any benefit in the high load P&G that most talk about with my automatic. I do better with DWL and braking as little as possible. I do find a gentle P&G helps a little to keep the engine load low. I think you posted elsewhere your commute is only like 3.5 miles in the city? Is that right? Short trips and cold starts kill mileage. As for DFCO, It's only really helpful when you want to slow down. On the highway, a neutral coast will help you more. I may have already said elsewhere that you may actually be going into DFCO but the torque app may not be reading it properly.

When I bought My Rondo was when I started really getting interested in hypermiling. I got really discouraged seeing all these guys posting crazy high mileage numbers, and like you, I was struggling to meet EPA much less beat it. Then I realized all those guys are driving standards or hybrids. Now that I have a standard trans car, I am confident of what I suspected before. Much of what is posted here that works well with a manual, doesn't work well with an auto. I've tried to hypermile that car for nearly 10 years. My numbers never looked that great on here, but when I compared my mileage to the average Rondo owner, I was getting great mileage. Be patient, experiment, listen to the guys that drive automatics, and don't lose heart. You will improve. You may want to look at some mods as well. Aero mods will help on the highway and mods to help you warm up faster will help minimize the hit on cold starts.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km

Last edited by puddleglum; 07-01-2017 at 04:17 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puddleglum For This Useful Post:
Hypochondriac (07-01-2017), JockoT (07-01-2017)