View Single Post
Old 07-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #70 (permalink)
Grant-53
Master EcoModder

The cost of meeting emission standards was never easy. Trucks, farm tractors, and construction equipment are the primary use of diesel engines. Worked selling parts for fifteen years between NAPA and Case IH. I built and raced slot cars starting in 1966 so I am familiar with electric motors and got a two year degree in Computer Integrated Manufacturing. What gets measured gets improved. If emissions is the weakness of automotive diesels then battery technology is the weakness of electric vehicles. Vegetable oil fuels benefit from additives and are renewable but not pollution free. Motorcycles are most sensitive to power to weight comparisons. Right now I am looking at rebuilding a pair of 50cc Honda scooters for my boys. I will look at improving torque, reducing smoke, and streamlining on these antique (30 yr) machines.

gregsfc: If you have the chance ask Fred Hayes or one of the other riders what the price and availability of a diesel crate engine would be. My guess is around $6000 USD delivered. Hope you have a good experience at Mid Ohio.

Last edited by Grant-53; 07-05-2017 at 04:12 PM..