View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
lessen the Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelmehr View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention that. It's a GL Sedan, pic from the side looks like this vehicle (this isn't my particular car but same model): http://www.analogstereo.com/images/om/volvo_940.jpg
samuelmehr,thanks for the photo.Helps alot! Looks like Volvo has refined the "brick" quite a bit already.The upper grille has been narrowed(good).Shadows thwart investigating for openings under the bumper.If there is a opening there,it might be possible to partially,or completely block the upper opening.Can't tell.One must be careful not to unintentionally fry important bits and pieces under the hood!The front airdam means that you already have the benefit of a partial bellypan,so completely smoothing the underside might not pay the dividends,say,a pickup truck might see.The flanks may be a bit dirty,although that involves mods to the rocker panels for the entire length of the car(as you see in one of today's Corollas).I like your wheel covers just as they are.They are much like Larry Shinoda's secret-weapon covers for the Trans Am Firebird of the early 80s.The side mirrors look okay aero wise,and while a little big for die hards,probably offer great and safe rearward vision.The cowl area in front of the windshield will be a little "dirty" however some of that ensures good cabin ventilation,a good tradeoff.I think the back of the car would benefit from a little cleanup.although it impacts access to the trunk.Something like Ford's Merkur XR4Ti used in the 1980s,or like AMG HAMMER did for the fast Mercedes.It's a combo streamlined rear roof extension combined with a rear,or bi-wing rear spoiler,which pushes the trailing edges out to intersect with an imaginary line defined by the ultimate streamlined teardrop form.You can see the profile at Projectermanent Kammback for Metro here at the aero forum.It will force the air to follow a path more like the roofline of a HONDA Insight hybrid ( one of the,if not the most aerodynamically efficient cars of its size class).I think rear mods are where the money would be.Anything you do to improve or reduce the wake behind the car will pay direct dividends at the gas pump.It's where about 70 cents out of every dollar you spend goes,when out on the open road.