View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelmehr View Post
wow, I had no idea aerodynamics played that big a role. Where could I get that kind of thing done in the Boston area?
That's a good question and I don't have a quick easy answer.You might make some measurements off the car and keep with you handy.You might do a GOOGLE Image search for Merkur XR4Ti and AMG HAMMER Mercedes to acquaint yourself with these forms,then look about in the marketplace and bone-yards to see if any production pieces could be modified to fit the Volvo.Body shops may have catalogs for aftermarket aerodynamic add-on packages for the car also.Don't know.Some of us have literally mocked up wings and spoilers out of cardboard and masking tape,which last long enough to burn through a few tanks of fuel.If they prove themselves at the pump,then they are worthy of devoting the time(and its mostly time) to fabricate a permanent ,lasting part out of metal or composites.MetroMPG's thread,for his Project: permanent Kammback for the Metro will walk you through the entire process.Keep your eyes open for perverting existing hardware,and altering it to fit your goals.I scavenge whatever I can.It saves me hundreds of hours in fabrication time.Kinda of perversely fun when you see progress at the gas station.