View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Markmysite
EcoModding Lurker

EcoVibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 38.14 mpg (US)
Combined EPA Rating ... cheaters up in here or just a big misunderstanding??

I was browsing through the EM Garage and sorted by model to compare what others with my cars are seeing with the mileage. I've been noticing that some people have mileage sig's that show a 70% improvement over EPA and their mileage #'s are close to mine. I didn't think there could be that big of a difference between model years (and I was right). I looked each car up on Fuel Economy to check their combined EPA rating.

What I have learned is that many, many of the cars listed on here have EPA values that are way off. I won't name any names and I am assuming that people just put the wrong values by mistake ... not in an effort to make their % look better ... heh. I know there is some confusion with the old vs. the new EPA rating method, and I think we should all use the new method for continuity. They are also lower values which does help your % too.

So what is the big deal? For fun, I changed my real EPA value of 29mpg combined to 27mpg combined like some other people have with my same car. My percentage went from 30.3% to 40.1% improvement over the EPA rating!!! That is showing a false value of over a 30% improvement in gas mileage. Show me a mod that can achieve that. It's the best mod for the money yet. Just cheat and don't put your vehicles true EPA combined rating ... put the city value like a lot of people did ... lol.

Seriously though, we should all be playing fair ... don't ya think?

Please go to Fuel Economy to find your real combined EPA rating. Click the top left where it says "find and compare cars" and then do your year, make, model, and engine type. It makes a mig difference if you are manual or automatic too. A simple 2mpg off can change your % a huge amount.

I don't know if there's any way possible to link our values to the gov website, but that would solve the misunderstanding problem.

Last edited by Markmysite; 08-19-2008 at 01:27 PM..