View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
ecoxantia
EcoModding Apprentice

Fizz - '06 Skoda Fabia Combi
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 56.62 mpg (US)
New personal best mpg in my Xantia

This is the first fillup since I started reading this site, and to be honest I was a little disappointed. I got 47.8 mpg (US) 57mpg (UK). This is 16% above my average. Driving conditions were a mix of distances from 4 to 80 mile trips, busy towns to freeways. Actually I'm feeling better about that figure already

So what have I changed to get this? Mild changes to driving habits, such as coasting and reducing acceleration and top speed. Most of the time I am driving below 2000rpm.

Practical mods so far are tyre pressures and undertrays, though not for the full 500 miles that the improved figures refer to. 40psi in tyres, compared to 37/32 previously. This is noticeable in the ride quality, unfortunately.

Yes, I know that this represents anything but a scientific exercise. I'd love to do some coastdown tests but the weather here in the UK is so wet and windy that it seems pointless! I hope to have an mpguino completed soon and then I can make some measurements.

Plans now are grille blocks, rear wiper delete, wheel tracking, and some more aggressive hypermiling - oh and of course the mpguino. The soldering iron awaits!