View Single Post
Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
smallscaleH2
EcoModding Lurker

Re: thanks for noticing this samwichse; updated the calculation:

1 liter of gasoline= 33,41 kWh per gallon (or hence 8,83 kWh per liter)
hydrogen gas contains 0,003 kWh per liter (at a pressure of 1 bar). I would thus assume that to attain a same amount of energy (8,83 kWh per liter), I'd need to use a 2943 bar compression on that 1 liter tank.

This still seems huge (the biggest compression rate used is some 700 bar). I guess it's doable if I am to use a 10 liter tank pressured at 294,3 bar but still that's a relatively large tank for just 1 liter of gasoline equivalent.

The other thing I've been wondering about: does this take into account the size the gas still takes in after compression (I would assume that 1 liter of hydrogen, after compression to say 294 bar only takes in about 1/294th of the space (so 0,003397 liter). Or well, about that amount of space ...
----------------------

The other calculation I did actually used weight rather than volume (as oil pan 4 suggested). It went as follows:

1 liter of gasoline = 0,26 gallon of gasoline
14 liter of hydrogen = 1 kg of hydrogen @ 1 bar (see uigi.com/h2_conv.html )
1 kg of hydrogen = energy in 1 gallon of gasoline (see heshydrogen.com/hydrogen-fuel-cost-vs-gasoline )
0,26 kg hydrogen = 3,64 liter of hydrogen (compressed at 1 bar) -0,26 X 14-
So in this latter calculation, it looks as if a mere 3,64 liter tank with hydrogen, without any compression at all would do

This obviously doesn't seem correct, but I don't see the mistake here either.