View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
mavinwy
EcoModding Lurker

Neon1 - '97 Plymouth Neon highline
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)
I have been playing with the idea of making an HHO system for the neon to test it myself (I have 90% of the materials sitting around, so total cost would likely be less than $10.00) I have not seen anything where anyone actually hurt a motor by trying it out.

An intersting idea I saw in one of the posts was to run the system off of a solar cell. Maybe a golf cart battery or something depending on space/weight. Then it would eliminate the alternator factor and would likely work for short trips.

I have only had one person I actually know try it, and that was on a 4.0 jeep. He improved 2mpg (and still has the improvement). It does not sound like much until you figure that is 10%. If I could get 3-4 more mpg for $10.00 + consumables, I figure it is worth a shot. If it does not work, it would be easy to remove.

I am not willing to put several hundred dollars into something like this though.

I also see where this would not be for everyone, the maintenance and fiddle factor would be high. I also see an issue here running it in the winter and the water freezing up. Working on ideas for those issues.

Jim