View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 03:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
smallscaleH2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by seifrob View Post
The exchange would be 65 kWh of electricity versus 3 liters of petrol, as 3 liters has the same energy content.
Both estimates are incorrect (1 kg H2 isn't 65 kWh, it's 33,41 kWh as it's the same energy as in 1 gallon of gasoline; 65 kWh isn't the same as 3 liter of petrol, it's 7,36 liter of petrol;
1 liter petrol = 8,83 kWh/liter -33,41/3,78-)

I'm not sure why you start the calculation from 1 kg of H2 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seifrob View Post
Assuming price of ten cents per kWh for grid power
That's pretty high, where did you get that figure from ? I think it's going to be more like 5 cents per kWh (and even that's high, if you would be using say nuclear power). Even solar power is expected to drop to 5 cents per kWh or even below, see here

But let's say it's 10 cents per kWh:
then you'll pay 88,3 cents (= 0,883 euro) for 8,83 kWh
1 liter of gasoline costs about 1,3 euro ?

Obviously you'll have a lot of energy losses with hydrogen, so if you were to have say just 50% efficiency, you'd still have 1,766 euro, thus a bit more costly (assuming prices of 10 cents/kWh, whereas I think it's going to be say 5 cents/kWh, in which case it would still be cheaper than gasoline). I think it's worth it in either case as it's cleaner, and besides you won't be driving huge distances with it anyway due to amount of space needed for the tanks. So it will only be reserved for city use, and you'll not use that much of it anyway.

Last edited by smallscaleH2; 07-19-2017 at 03:25 AM..