View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 11:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Well, I crunched the numbers, and the preliminary results are in. Google Maps tells me I traveled about 166.1 miles between the time I installed the new injectors and the time today that I filled up. As I traveled a total of 401.7 miles on this tank, that means that I traveled 235.6 miles on the old injectors.

This tankful appears to be similar to the last tankful, in that the average tank trip speed are about the same, and the A/C usage is also about the same (typically, no A/C going into work, but A/C coming home). Monday was kind of an exception due to the rather interesting thunderstorm on the way home, but that's not going to affect things all that much. The last tank trip saw me get 24.3 MPG, compared to MPGuino reporting 23.8 MPG. This tank trip saw me get an astounding 26.4 MPG, while MPGuino reported 24.8 MPG.

Now, this tank saw a fillup of 15.227 gallons. Assuming that I still got an average 24.3 on the 235 miles I traveled, that means that I burned about 9.6 gallons before I installed the new injectors. That tracks well with my fuel needle being at 3/8 at the time I installed the new injectors.

I can make an educated guess, then, that I used 5.6 gallons to travel the remaining 166 miles. That translates to a fuel economy of 29.6 MPG, which seems a bit optimistic. That's about a 20% improvement in fuel economy between the old injectors and the new injectors, and is a real head scratcher. I can believe a 10% improvement (that's what the Durango got), but 20% seems a bit high. Then again, MPGuino did report current trip fuel economy figures that were a lot closer to 29.6 MPG after the new injectors were installed.

I'm going to have to track a full tank of fuel on this one. If I manage to get close to 450 miles before the Karen-Mobile dings on me, then I'll be onto something.

I'm going to have to get that MPGuino fuel calibration function working, too.