View Single Post
Old 08-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tony Raine
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
alright, after doing a LOT of research, i have decided to keep the explorer (at least for now). yeah, i'd be a lot better in the long run to get a gas sipper DD and sell the explorer, but i like the versatility. and its been a very reliable rig. plus i enjoy a challenge.

i just finished paying off a loan i had, so i got some monthly cash to spare. plus my savings from getting better mileage. so i am getting a list together of what i want to do to both vehicles, and just get a loan to do it all. trust me, its less than the price of a good used car.

by getting my bronco fixed, i can finally use it for my weekend camping/fishing excursions. that means the explorer can be retired from that.

heres the plan so far.
-remove lift, and lower another inch or 2
-put rims/mud tires on bronco (sell the other 2 full sets of mud tires/rims to recoup some of the cost)
-buy new rims/street tires for explorer (waiting for some deals on tirerack.com)
-start smoothing out the bottom. start from the front and work my way back.
-experiment with different grill blocks (removable for towing, its still got to be able to do that.)
-maybe a kammback, like a mini version of MetroMPG's

i have already removed the running boards and roof rack rails (roof rack never had cross-bars, so why keep the rails?) that shed about 100 pounds (those side steps are HEAVY)