View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 02:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
smallscaleH2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Browns gas is a mixture of 2 molecules of hydrogen for every molecule of oxygen. Therefore it is 2/3 + 16/3 = 6 times as heavy as hydrogen, and it only has 2/3 of the hydrogen molecules.

So Browns gas has just 1/9th or 11.111% of the BTU pure hydrogen gas has per weight, and just 2/3ds or 66.666% of the BTU per volume.

So while Brown's gas is less powerful as a combustible than you think, the real problem is that, in essence, it is not a combustible at all. It is an explosive, and as an explosive it has no equals when it comes to bang per weight.
When it explodes it will not complete the reaction; the temperature gets so high that some of the hydrogen and oxygen start to lose their bonds again, and the reaction will only complete when it can shed its heat or mix with the surrounding gases.
Yes, I was worried about that too.
I dropped the concept and won't work it out, but just for the hell of it, I'll calculate it out further in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seifrob
Trouble is he does not listen, or at least it looks like he does not want to hear. Instead of that he simply makes another thread with similar content.
I indeed don't listen to idle comments. I only listen to comments that are backed up by hard data. So, if you reply to me and include calculations to back up your thoughts, I'll listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman
He is a little bit late in the game an generally anyone who is capable of crunching the simplest numbers now knows how inefficient hydrogen generation is. Combined with the fact that people have been trying to push hydrogen boosters and other nonsense to the market people are generally fed up with topics related to hydrogen.
I've been working on related issues since many years. I never did the calculations on hydrogen though since I also always considered it a lost cause. However, given that it is a completely clean fuel (and little other transport technologies are, -and if they are, they're expensive, ie batteries/electric motors-), I'm reconsidering it, and trying to make it at least better then the current way of using hydrogen.