View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 07:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
smallscaleH2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
A Hyundai Ioniq electric has a 28 kWh battery and a range of over 200 km.
So it has 5 times the range from less than 3/5 of the capacity.
The running costs on electricity alone would be just 12% of your setup.
In other words, yours is 8 times as expensive to run.

If you have a battery the best way to transfer the power within to motion is by using an electric motor and motor controller. The efficiency of that is typically way above 50%.

The thought you would have a big battery on board and just use that to make a diesel engine tick over goes against logic. Like if in the time of the first real cars you'd build a mechanical horse to pull carts instead.
You're looking at it from an energy-efficiency perspective.
This project idea was never about energy-efficiency.
Instead, I was looking at it considering these design criteria:
* the fuel needs to be usable in a Diesel engine
* the fuel should (when burned) not emit any carbon or toxic gases
* conversion needs to be relatively cheap to do

Regarding the cost, I don't agree. I agree the fuel costs would be higher, but if you look at the whole thing (so including conversion costs), it would be cheaper -electric motor, battery and motor controller tend to cost a lot-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
Seriously, what did you expect when the title had HHO in it? That is like opening an email that says "gain 12 inches with these miracle pills" and the saying I cant believe it was not true.
I did know about the negative perspective most people have on HHO. What I did never read anywhere however were scientifically based arguments (so including energy calculations, ...). That's why I made the post and did the calculations. What I actually found was that it was a much better fuel than I initially thought. Seifrob and ar5boosted mentioned alternatives like compressed air and steam I could use. Well, compared to that I think HHO is a better energy carrier (if it wasn't for the damage it inflicts on the engine, but for say overbuild Wankels -found in construction equipment-, this might not be the case)

Anyway, it doesn't matter any more as despite meeting my initial criteria, it does damage regular Diesel engines. So it's useless.

A more interesting question to ask now however is: is hydrogen usable in Diesel engines (so not gasoline engines, but Diesel engines) ? If not, what's the reason why it doesn't work in them, and are there any workarounds to fix that problem (like using fuel or combustion chamber pre-heating, adding of a spark-plug inside the combustion chamber, ...) ?
If I find that I can just use hydrogen in Diesel engines, then that would even be better than if I were able to use HHO.

Last edited by smallscaleH2; 07-23-2017 at 07:44 AM..