View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Or alternatively, what about a flat aluminum plate like part of a belly pan?
Or two L-shaped plates with TEGS to the sides, or for that matter, a plate with a square channel folded in to bond with TEGS on 3 sides, so the exhaust runs under it (I'm not fond of enclosing any part of the exhaust system between a belly pan and the rest of the car)?
Those are all quote possible. Experimentation would show you what works best of course.

I also wonder how feasible it is to make the inner tube out of aluminum for greater heat transfer. I have no idea how it would hold up to the corrosive exhaust environment, but it would perform quite a bit better than steel or stainless. I think if I were actually building this, I'd go that route.

Quote:
About clamping force - no chance to use heat paste? That would provide full thermal conductivity even if the clamping force is low?
They claim that they do not need thermal paste. There is a layer of graphite on these TEGs. The ones with ceramic require thermal paste (they look white), but the graphite layer (they look grey metalic) negates the need for it per their instructions.

Quote:
And last but not least - any estimates on how much weight it all will add?
This seems fairly lightweight so far - but it needs to be light to be worthwhile.

(subscribed!)
The TEGs themselves are not that heavy at all. I have a 40mm one, and I just weighted it at .8 oz (23g).
RedDevil (07-23-2017)