View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 10:21 AM   #29 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallscaleH2 View Post
You're looking at it from an energy-efficiency perspective.
This project idea was never about energy-efficiency.
You describe HHO as a good fuel - what makes it good, then, if not its fuel efficiency?
Emissions maybe - but you start off with electric power, and from that point on a regular EV has no emissions at all. Diesel engines typically run lean under light loads, and you need to do the same (e.g. mix in air) to have a chance to make it work. But then you'd produce nitrous oxides - unlike the EV.
With efficiency and the environment out of the room, practicality and safety never in view, what remains?
Quote:
Regarding the cost, I don't agree. I agree the fuel costs would be higher, but if you look at the whole thing (so including conversion costs), it would be cheaper -electric motor, battery and motor controller tend to cost a lot-
Hey, there is a battery in your setup too. You actually need a big one to get anywhere.
If we just look at the differences:
EV conversion: + motor, motor controller;
HHO-Diesel: + Diesel engine, cooling system, tranny, exhaust system, electrolyser, power regulator...
I'm not sure your setup would be cheaper. (that's an euphemism)
You could buy a nice used Leaf for the cost of a 50 kWh battery alone.
Quote:
If I find that I can just use hydrogen in Diesel engines, then that would even be better than if I were able to use HHO.
Yes, definitely. But you might find that a very light fuel like hydrogen works better in a gasoline engine than a diesel engine. Lower compression ratio to prevent detonation, spark ignition, throttle valve - all gasoline engine territory.
Still, if it has to be a diesel engine for whatever reason, chances to get it to work at all are higher with hydrogen than when using Brown's gas.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 07-23-2017 at 05:49 PM..