View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 04:00 AM   #113 (permalink)
BLSTIC
Master EcoModder

Delivery 'Boy - '86 Suzuki Mighty Boy
90 day: 37.15 mpg (US)

SkipSwift - '13 Suzuki Swift GL
90 day: 35.44 mpg (US)
Thread Revival!

Train of thought:
I currently have a 2NZ powered Echo.
I was looking at the 1NZ-FXE as a replacement, or a camshaft donor for a regular 1NZ.
I found this power graph for the 1NZ-FXE http://www.autospeed.com/cms/gallery...=0&a=1450&i=14

Note that the peak torque is 115Nm @ 4200 rpm, with peak power of 53kw @ the 4500rpm limit. This implies that could the 1NZ rev harder, it would make more power. With the peak torque being so-much-lower than a 1NZ-FE (141Nm) it also implies that the cylinders are being nowhere near filled.

The FXE inlet manifold is... well it makes me cry. I haven't seen the exhaust manifold but it's probably the same. Simply putting on the FE manifolds should yield a major improvement in mid-high rpm power, which given mr220's anecdote appears to be the case. The usual intake/header/exhaust mods should improve this further.

I have no simulation data (I haven't paid to have my copy of engine analyser unlocked), but I assume that the FXE cam, properly timed, will improve the already 80kw 1NZ-FE at the top end. It might even get to 100kw with appropriate exhaust & intake mods.

Another thought is that with the super-late valve closing, you may want to run very small (filled) inlet ports. If the cam is timed correctly a high velocity port can get to 115% volumetric efficiency at peak torque, which in this case would be at high rpm.

It's important to note that even with all of these ostensibly horsepower oriented mods on the intake side of the engine, as long as you have a mild exhaust cam it's not going to suffer the usual low-rpm efficiency loss (even though low-end torque would suffer)

As an added bonus, the completed 850kg Echo would have a power-weight ratio approaching early WRX's. Which is just cruel and unusual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyrabbit
In God we trust. All others: bring data