View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #389 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknomage2012 View Post
Your efforts would be better spent improving the leaf aerodynamics than building a pusher trailer, wedge the nose with a shaped foam grill block, and install a hitch kit and make a tail cone that plugs in to the hitch reciever, install disc wheel covers and rear wheel well spats to add a Lot of range.

do get yourself a evse that can be adjusted from 6 amp to 32 amp capable of 120/220 vac charging with a nema L6-30 twist lock and a pile of quick change adapters with every cord end you could imagine running into including 2 light bulb socket to power outlet adapters

build yourself a L1+L2 circuit rejoiner (110v+110v back to 220v) cord end to twist lock on your new evse, carry a multimeter and a circuit ringer tracer testers and practice to learn how to use them. With this the proceedure is at a 110 only charging site to put the circuit ringer into the first available outlet, then go and sniff the other avaliable 110 sockets for one that is not on the same half of the split phase 220 circuit panel. once you find the other leg of 110 you can then recombine them both CAREFULLY back to 220 with your double headed cord adapter. A note of caution; always measure the recombined voltage in the female end of your L1+L2 adapter before twist locking it to your evse and plugging it in to your EV. You want to be certian you have found both L1 and L2 circuits and that they are adding up to 220VAC with GROUND. Then you can enjoy 220 charging nearly anywhere...

https://youtu.be/4uD6UGa3hh0
I shot a message to Zencar EVSE to see about purchasing their 6-32Amp 100-240Volt portable EVSE. Still no reply after a couple days. I know a bit about US household electricity and know exactly what you're talking about. I'll look into making a double 120V head to 240V adapter cord just like you described (US voltages are now 120V and 240V respectively). Sounds very doable, and I already carry a DMM around with me so checking circuits for voltages, neutrals and grounds will be easy.

As for aeromods, didn't the AeroCivic cost only $400 in aeromods? That's about the cheapest range extender that could be made IMO. Much cheaper than a $4,000 generator on a $500 trailer.